Wednesday, August 31, 2011

building altars

building altars stone by stone

8 I love the passive tense in English. Accepting absolutely no blame or responsibility one could say, "Mistakes were made." whilst still acknowledging the situation. In the following situation I accept full blame. Two years ago during a routine yearly visa application "mistakes were made". It was up to me to check the date on my new visa, which had for 4 years been October 6th. So when I received our new visas, I didn't even bother looking at all the dates, just Dan's. Unfortunately, this time they put a wrong date just on my visa. August 28th 2009 my visa expired, and August 30th 2009 we went to the foreign police to start our yearly visa application only to hear that my visa was expired and I was currently living and working illegally in the Czech Republic. Needless to say, I felt as though I had been punched in the stomach. This news not only affected us, but my employers as well.

An expired visa means several trips outside the country to a Czech embassy to apply for a brand-new visa. Vienna is the closest embassy that is in a foreign country. The first step was to go there as soon as possible to get permission to work...as I was putting my school and director in jeopardy while working, albeit unknowingly, illegally. My director was so kind and understanding, even calling to the embassy on my behalf to arrange things. He constantly reminded me that I was important and he would do whatever it took to make things OK for me. So, Dan and I took many early morning trips to get to the Czech embassy in Vienna on time. We had to take time off work as the embassy is only open during the week. My fabulous co-workers graciously covered for me so I could go through this process and not be deported. The worst part for me was that this created problems for other people and others had to help us out. Especially when it was my fault. If it had only involved me it would be fine, but I shed many tears during this time because so many had to band to gether to help us get this new visa as quickly as possible.

One of the foreign police at the Czech embassy in Vienna was a super mean lady. She threatened me several times over the phone that she could and would have me deported. She yelled at my director. She was really mean and scary. When we went to Vienna to apply for the visa, I was so nervous that the scary lady would be the one I had to deal with. When I walked up to the window I was shaking. A man popped his head through and  I greeted him in Czech and he smiled widely and told me how great my Czech was. We proceeded with the application process and he was kind, funny and gracious. He helped me so much and constantly praised me on my Czech. Every time we went to the embassy in Vienna this man helped us out. It was such a relief.

After 4 trips to Vienna and an innumerable amount of phone calls, money changing hands, forms filled out, I received my new visa and work permit and could breathe. Everyone around me could breathe. This was truly a team effort and I received such support from friends and co-workers that I stood speechless. The process could have been really ugly but wasn't. Many things could have happened along the way to gum up the works but didn't. I could have been deported but wasn't.

I add this stone today.

3 comments: