Thursday, December 23, 2010

a few of my favourite things

chicken curry pasta salad

This is a salad that I make in HUGE quantities for the week before Christmas. I serve it at every gathering at my house, be it planned or unplanned. It is the perfect salad to have around as it gets better everyday that it is in the fridge (never eat it the first day) and it looks pretty and is hearty enough to be served as a light dinner so we always have something on hand to feed our guests. I set up a Christmas buffet and put out pretty bowls, napkins, a glass filled with forks and the big bowl of salad. Then I set out bowls of fruit like clementines and pineapples and plates of our homemade cookies along with more napkins and small dessert plates. Then I have glasses, water pitcher, sodas, mugs and teacups, coffees and tea selections. All of this is surrounded by tea lights and after a 10 minute set up the buffet is prepared. So even if someone drops by (like they did last night...one of Dan's highschool students and his girlfriend came over to spend the evening) the meal is prepared. If you have a large group, this salad is easy to balance on your lap so seating is not an issue.

I got this recipe from my friend Drahuš. She served it to us the first time we ever visited the Czech Republic and I fell in love with it.

Drahuš' chicken curry salad

1 package fusilli pasta cooked
1 small jar mayo
4 chicken breasts cut up into chunks and fried (or whatever you call it when you swish it around in the pan with oil until it's cooked...sauteed?)
1 bag frozen peas and carrots and steamed
1 can peaches cut up into small chunks
2 T curry powder (or more to taste)

Combine cooled pasta, chicken chunks, peas, carrots and peaches into a large bowl. Stir together mayo and curry powder and add to salad mixing thoroughly. Put in the fridge to eat the next day allowing all the sauce to be absorbed by the pasta and chicken. Enjoy!

When I make this I usually double or triple the recipe and put it all in our garage where it is colder than our freezer. I take the salad out an hour and a half before company comes to let it warm up and get creamier. I also add way more curry than the recipe calls for...

1 comment:

  1. Recipe sounds really good - will give it a try soon. If it's as good as you say it would make a great "visitor" meal done ahead of time. Thank Drahus for me.

    ReplyDelete