Tuesday, March 27, 2012


sports

I am not sporty. I have no desire to play  softball, racquetball, baseball or kickball. Though 5'10" when I was just eleven years old, I never went out for basketball or volleyball as the school coaches wanted. I am klutzy, lazy, disinterested, introverted  and not at all competitive. 


Having said all that, I am hooked on weightlifting. I have lifted weights on and off for several years and it is my sport of choice. Lately, I have been pondering why. 


I was at the gym the other day, thinking about why I love weightlifting and despise other sports and two words came to mind: precision and solitude.


I am at the gym almost daily. I have a rigid routine. Every day is a different muscle group. I am calculating about how often I go up in weight, how many reps and how often to change exercises to keep the muscles from lapsing into complacency. I am deeply competitive with myself, always pushing to outdo what I did the day before.


I enjoy the quiet of the gym. No one to answer to or be responsible for. Only me and my muscles, pushed to quivering. I do my best thinking at the gym.


Here's what I have recently read:


Your personality can affect the type of sports you like and excel in. These are just general rules however, you may be an exception to the rule!


Personalities are often described by how introverted or extroverted the individual is.
  • Introverted people tend to be quiet and thoughtful
  • Extroverted people are more loud and excitable 
You can of course be somewhere inbetween these two extremes!
Whether you are more of an introvert or extrovert can affect the type of sport you like to play.
Introverts tend to like sports which require:
  • Concentration
  • Precision
  • Self-motivation
  • Intricate skills
  • Low arousal levels
  • Individual performances
  • For example, archery, golf and snooker
Extroverts prefer sports which are:
  • Exciting
  • Team sports
  • Fast paced
  • High arousal levels
  • Large, simple motor skills
  • Low concentration
  • For example, rugby and boxing
(Thanks to TeachPE.com)

I would be interested to know what your favourite sport is. Leave a comment...

2 comments:

  1. Favorites over the years: when young -- diving --- solitude, concentration -- we are much alike. Older - walking (again with the solitude) and weight lifting (with you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also pretty much an introvert. But no interest in golf or archery. What's snooker? Nope to weight-lifting, too, although I do take a fitness class 3x/wk doing all sorts of core/cardio/weight exercises.
    My favorite sports are biking and running--with large, simple motor movements. While both are individual sports, I prefer to do them with other people/a partner. . As a schoolkid, I hated competitive team sports cuz I was always the smallest one who couldn't perform or keep up. I took as many dance and gymnastic classes in high school as I was allowed to take for PE.

    ReplyDelete